Where to File UCCs in Washington, DC

Posted by Incserv
September 16, 2016

Deirdre Davis-Washington, Assistant Vice President of Branch Operations in Washington, DC was recently asked about UCC searches and where to search and subsequently file in the District of Columbia. Deirdre shared this brief but valuable description:

Security interest filings in Washington, DC are filed with the Recorder of Deeds (ROD).  If you have a UCC against real property, better known as a “fixture filing”, this would be filed in the land records of the ROD, while others are found in the “chattel” records (yes, DC still uses the word chattel).   You may also search for tax liens and judgments at the ROD.

The District has also be known to be the default place for filing of UCC’s against foreign entities doing business in the US.  Not sure where the company is doing business?  Just try searching the DC Recorder of Deeds!

For assistance in Washington, DC with UCC searching or filing or to learn more about any of the services available from our office, contact our DC office directly via email to dcorders@incserv.com.

The information within this post is intended for general information purposes only. Incserv and its employees cannot offer legal or financial advice. Please consult with your legal counsel for assistance in how this information may or may not affect you and your business prior to making any decisions. The above information (and any attachments) should be judged accordingly.