Thinking about Expanding your Business into Canada? Part-two

Posted by Gennine Cooper
January 8, 2020

In part-one of our blog series we covered the basic steps to get you started and help you decide what type of incorporation you might need to file. In part-two we are covering registering your business for the Goods and Service Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) account.

GST/HST registration is mandatory for all business in Canada except for those deemed small supplier businesses.  Small supplier is determined and based on the businesses total taxable revenue for the year and the type of business. Note, even if your business does qualify as a small supplier you can register anyway for a GST/HST account.  This will allow you to reclaim a portion of taxes paid on your business, refunded by the government. For more information on registering your business for a GST/HST account and if your business is exempt click here.

If your business is registered in Quebec, you also need to register with the Revenue of Quebec.

We’ll be happy to help you navigate this process! If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Incserv at or 800.346.4646.

Note: This article is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered, or relied upon, as legal advice.

Part Incserv blog